cliveb wrote:
> We have all grown up expecting to pull into a filling station and be on
> our way in a few minutes. So the paradigm shift needed for electric cars
> to become mainstream is the discovery of some way to recharge them very
> quickly.....[]
>
> In the meantime, electric cars will be limited to things like commuting
> and shopping.

Whilst agreeing with the points you raise, I don't agree that this
leaves electric cars as a sideshow. The Tesla supercharger network
genuinely means you can grab a coffee and cake and get a 150-200 mile
range boost while you wait. Yes it's not instant but nor is it Nissan
Leaf 8hrs charge either. It's also free, as a nice sweetener..

(I believe the Tesla S P90 battery pack is 90KWh btw, the model number
designates battery capacity.)

Currently there's really only Tesla making a properly viable all
electric car. The others are token effort commuter/shopping carts.
Nissan will even loan you a petrol/diesel car for up to two weeks per
year *for free* if you want to take a longer journey, so they totally
acknowledge this...

Fuel cells and/or hot swap batteries would be a great concept, but we're
a way off either of those being on the road. Just getting to the point
of having ONE standard motorway fast charger would be good enough and
they can't even agree on that...