drmatt wrote:
> The Tesla supercharger network genuinely means you can grab a coffee and
> cake and get a 150-200 mile range boost while you wait. Yes it's not
> instant but nor is it Nissan Leaf 8hrs charge either. It's also free, as
> a nice sweetener..
I still think far too much effort is being spent on small incremental
improvements to a fundamentally unworkable model. According to Tesla,
their Supercharger adds 170 miles range in 30 minutes. Sure, it's much
better than charging at home, but it's still WAY too slow for making
decent progress on a long journey. (I like the way that Tesla say it's
an opportunity to grab a cup of coffee while I wait - as if I'd want to
drink yet another cup of overpriced Starbucks dishwater every time I
fill up).

Unfortunately companies have invested a great deal of money into
electric vehicles, so it'll be some time before they admit defeat and
switch to something workable, like fuel cells.

drmatt wrote:
> Fuel cells and/or hot swap batteries would be a great concept, but we're
> a way off either of those being on the road.
You can buy a Toyota Mirai now. Unfortunately it's over 60 grand - about
10k more than a Tesla S. But it does refuel in 3 minutes - if you could
find anywere to buy the hydrogen (which you can't, of course).

drmatt wrote:
> Just getting to the point of having ONE standard motorway fast charger
> would be good enough and they can't even agree on that...
This gets to the heart of the problem - building the refuelling
infrastructure. Neither is yet in place, so it strikes me that we should
aim to deploy the more practical option - which is hydrogen.
Unfortunately an infrastructure for recharging electric vehicles is
already growing - driven by the motor industry's stupid decision to back
the wrong horse - so the chances are that fuel cell technology will be
held back for a while yet.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A