cliveb wrote:
> And the crucial word here is *consistently*. If you run a trial with 20
> people, it is statisically very likely that one of them will "pass the
> test". What then needs to be done is to repeat the test and have *the
> same person* pass the test again. If they don't, it's just a standard
> case of regression to the mean.

Indeed though it totally depends on the test. If the test is designed
such that the expectation is that no-one will pass it, the norm is zero
and the standard deviation is very very narrow. If any person comes even
close to consistently "passing" then the result is statistically
significant. I haven't read the detailed data behind this paper, just
making observations about statistics here.