w3wilkes wrote:
> The Big Bang was actually the formation of a Black hole. That is how our
> universe was created and we're (our universe) inside that black hole.
> This allows time to go beyond the creation of our universe because the
> collapsing star that created our universe existed in it's own universe
> that our universe (black hole) now exists in. This also accounts for our
> universe's growth/expansion due to matter being sucked into our black
> hole and converted from matter to energy as it crosses the event
> horizon. I'm just surprised that this hasn't been realized yet!

There are a number of very good theoretical physicists who find
themselves unhappy with the concept that space-time & energy suddenly
popped into existence from nowhere & a number of interesting hypotheses
have been produced. I agree with the concept that the Big Bang appears
in many ways to be the reversal of the formation of the "singularity"
that is a black hole. Nonetheless, black holes still have mass, deform
space-time (albeit dramatically in close proximity to themselves) only
over a local area, & of course there are now widely believed to be a
large number of them co-existing presently in our universe.

We still are unable to postulate with any level of confidence what
happened in the very earliest instants after the Big Bang. The problem
with singularities is that that are points of discontinuity in the
mathematics about which little can be inferred. We do not have any real
idea about the nature of dark matter which appears to have a mass around
9 times that of the estimated mass of the matter we can detect either by
optical or radio-astronomy. And less understanding yet of the so-called
"dark energy" which is causing the expansion of our expanding universe
to accelerate. These unexplained phenomena are with us now, so there is
at least the hope that future scientific investigation may yield further
information.

It is difficult to comprehend at present what possible investigation
could be applied to events prior to the "singular" Big Bang moment at
which point all known "laws" of physics break down and our mathematical
toolkit itself becomes of no use. As a consequence it seems unlikely
that any of the (admitting fascinating) competing pre-Big Bang
hypotheses can ever be disproved using the scientific method which is
our only basis of rational enquiry.

I'm not claiming to be the sharpest pencil in the box by a long way, but
my pencil does have a point. I happen to be in sheds of pain just at the
moment, so to cut this short I'm going to make a blunt point right now
since there still seems to be a lack of clarity.

With regards to the religious issue one can choose to believe that one
believes in a deity. Or you can choose to believe that no God exists.
Both of these positions can only be justified by claiming special
knowledge whether through faith/spirituality/esoterica or whatever,
because neither position can be tested and falsified using rational
means.

Finally you can join me and admit that you have no way of knowing
whether God exists or not since neither position can be definitively
falsified.

You may have a preference or a pet theory in science, but as long as it
remains untestable it will remain a guess or matter of opinion.

Otherwise you might well be up for a Nobel Prize for your insight that
would immediately cause everyone to agree with you (although even then
with the prize in your pocket and a world full of adoring acolytes, you
could still be wrong).

Much less kindness in my wording than usual for which I apologise. I
just want to get off this keyboard & SCREAM!

Dave (not :) just atm!)