w3wilkes wrote:
> The Big Bang was actually the formation of a Black hole. That is how our
> universe was created and we're (our universe) inside that black hole.
> This allows time to go beyond the creation of our universe because the
> collapsing star that created our universe existed in it's own universe
> that our universe (black hole) now exists in. This also accounts for our
> universe's growth/expansion due to matter being sucked into our black
> hole and converted from matter to energy as it crosses the event
> horizon. I'm just surprised that this hasn't been realized yet!

I'm aware that I was a little terse and probably unkind to boot in my
last post.

Having already apologised, may I add that I am actually pleased to find
that you make the effort to consider these mind-boggling matters and to
form your own opinion (to which you are of course absolutely entitled).
I am only trying to separate opinions (however plausible) from facts, or
in the case of science from the generally accepted best working
hypothesis. And it goes without saying that I am genuinely over the moon
that you are not a creationist (no offence intended)!

This point is not directed at you, but may I point out that if one were
suddenly presented with the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, with no
experimental evidence to falsify alternative hypotheses, you might well
dismiss them out-of-hand by resorting to the (unscientific) rationale of
"that's so unlikely, it cannot possibly be true". Yet for the time being
at least we have to accept it in the absence of an alternative
hypothesis which chimes with repeatable experimental results.

Einstein himself, who was a very lateral thinker, trusted his instincts
to his detriment more than once (insertion of "Cosmological Constant"
fudge into General Relativity when he didn't like the mathematical
implication of an expanding universe that it predicted, prior to Edwin
Hubble's observations, together with his dogged refusal to consider the
possibility of "spooky action at a distance" implied by Quantum
Mechanics).

Incidentally, although the mathematics required to complete the Theory
of General Relativity was all in existence at the time, Einstein
couldn't do it & had to enlist the assistance of a more mathematically
gifted colleague. Nothing wrong with that per se, we can't all do
everything as a general rule, but the contrast to Newton's approach is
noteworthy - when he found that the mathematics necessary to produce his
Principia did not exist, he simply invented calculus & carried on. In my
opinion, the Principia Mathematica is the most outstanding solo
endeavour in the history of science. And despite not normally being
noted for his humility he remarked, "If I have seen further, it was only
by standing on the shoulders of giants" paying homage to the great
mathematicians of history. Perhaps most impressively of all, he was
acutely aware that his work did not represent the final word on the
subject of physics, and listed 10 issues that he had been unable to
understand to his satisfaction and which he therefore deemed worthy of
further investigation.

None of this is my own work (other than my attempts at exposition), but
I find the subject fascinating and remain of the opinion that wisdom is
more important than intelligence, and yet when it comes right down to it
kindness is the most impressive human quality. I wish I were better at
it when I am in pain...

Dave (now :) again)