cliveb wrote:
> Have you considered the possibility that the 2001 and 2014 releases are
> sourced from different analogue master tapes?
> It may very well be that an earlier generation analogue master with less
> losses was discovered between the 2001 and 2014 releases.
> This seems to me to be the simplest and most likely explanation for the
> differences you hear.

Indeed.

The album did hit #1 on both sides of the Atlantic, so some efforts may
have been made to preserve the master tapes: nevertheless, they would
have been >30 years old by 2001 & 45 years old by 2014, which is a
considerable age for an inherently unstable medium.

An inferior method of "hiss removal" to the same tape in 2001 compared
to the 2014 efforts could also be a factor...

Dave :)

P.S. Would love  to hear from anyone with access to both recordings to
get their take on it