Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi Doc!
>
> Well I haven't got one so I don't know, but I suppose some electronic
> gizmo capable of summing a fundamental tone with specific amplitudes of
> its odd harmonics up to the 9th would get close in practical terms if my
> textbook is correct. My point is that 9th harmonics can be pretty high
> frequencies to chuck into some amplifiers. Or am I wrong about that?

What's practical? ;-)

Square waves contain only odd harmonics, so the 9th order harmonic is
only the 4th actual harmonic.

Rule of thumb is that square waves require handling up to the 9th order
harmonic, to even start looking much like a square wave.

I consider square to be a fairly useless test because if you get a
funny-looking square wave, you can't tell that much about how the UUT is
misbehaving.  It is quasi-interesting with tubed power amps because they
as a rule, are fairly poor performers. Since the days of SS power  amps,
the performance is generally good enough that most people who tested
audio gear moved on.