drmatt wrote:
> NICAM was an interesting technology, but it was only used on the
> broadcast side. A VCR recorded analogue audio. Maybe you knew that, I
> wasn't clear from your post so just clarifying.

VHS HiFi added a track that was buried under the video track, using a
different carrier frequency than the video.  If memory serves, both the
video and the audio were recorded with FM.  The audio data was recorded
via FM which with the parameters chosen hardly gave even just 60 dB SNR
and 50-15 KHz bandwidth, but it was also companded to boost the
perceived dynamic range.

For a little while VHS HiFi had some advocates as an alternative to
Redbook CD optical, which was also emerging at about the same time.
However, Redbook CD quickly captured everybody's interest and as the
saying goes the rest is history.

Tape always picks up problems when used heavily, and also big exposures
to suboptimal storage and handling. It also has problems with rapid
access to different parts of the media. CD media has no known relevant
usage or storage limits if treated reasonably.

I buy 100s of CDs from estate sales and some have to be decades old.
I've digitized over 1,000 of them in the past two years with no problems
that a bath with hot soapy water couldn't cure (less than 10 discs even
just needed a bath.).  Not one! I don't inspect them except very
superficially at point of purchase.  Like: "Is there a CD in this case?"
This includes discs that were bought loose - with no packaging.