Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi Antonio!
>
> I absolutely agree with the previous answer to your question, i.e. it is
> the transducers which have the final job of imparting the sound waves
> into your listening room that are now the weakest (arguably the only
> weak) link in the audio chain as far as modern music reproduction
> equipment goes. Indeed, at least in theory, any earlier components
> *-should-* work together without any significant problems, since the
> voltage levels & impedances of both unbalanced (RCA phono) & balanced
> (XLR) interconnections at the line level are now standardised & most
> equipment adheres to these specifications.
>
> The problems with loudspeakers (or headphones for that matter) derive
> from the physical construction of the drivers (cone stiffness, mass,
> linearity when displaced from their static position & off-axis response)
> & in the case of loudspeakers the choice of loading (infinite baffle,
> reflex, transmission-line or even occasionally free-air or even
> isobaric) combined with the quality of construction & precise internal
> volume of the cabinet. There are other schools of thought (e.g.
> Harbeth's deliberately flexible cabinets), but most designers now aim to
> make their enclosures as rigid as possible. There is also the critical
> choice between a stand-mount cabinet (often referred to as "bookshelf"
> loudspeakers, although actually placing them on a crowded wall-shelf
> will usually result in a poor sound compared to using rigid & adequately
> damped speaker stands & having some free space around the enclosures...
> ) or having larger floor-standing enclosures (which usually have more
> drivers than stand-mounts). Finally, the crossover design & positioning
> of the various drivers relative to each other are critical to achieving
> a coherent musical performance. Active speakers may be preferable to
> passive ones if you have deep pockets! Whilst the fidelity of modern
> transducers has improved markedly compared to designs from say 40 years
> ago with the current availability of lightweight rigid materials such as
> carbon fibre, graphite or Kevlar for LF drivers & exotic ones like
> beryllium or even diamond for HF drivers, it remains the case that
> almost all of the non-linearity (aka distortion) of your system will
> derive from the transducers - even the very best & astronomically
> expensive ones are still not perfect! The specific impact of these
> issues for you will depend in part upon the size, shape & even
> construction materials of your listening room.
>
> So loudspeaker design still involves considerable compromise, &
> different speakers will usually sound much more distinct from each other
> than different amplifiers or earlier components in the audio chain. So
> whilst there are some general guidelines that will point you in the
> right direction in terms of selecting the right type of loudspeaker for
> your room, ultimately the acid test is whether you are happy with the
> [...]

Hi Dave !
You seems to be an endless source of knowledge regarding hifi ! Very
interesting post indeed.
Sorry, I was posting an answer to iPhone, and I'm very slow, my english
flows too slowly.
My room is a little sitting room, about 20 m² (67 ft), rectangular, I'll
be approximatively at 10ft from each speaker, ceiling is at 9 ft heigh,
walls are solid but it's open on each side of the room without doors (at
right I have a kitchen and at left the living room and dining room).
Floor is parquet and ceiling is solid. The room has a few furniture: a
sofa (where I sit in front of the speakers), an upright piano (very nice
old Pleyel, I'm proud of it), a little table at the corner of the sofa
(for the drink of course) and a low dresser.
Thanks a lot for your help ! :)

LMS 7.9.0
on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch
Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...