Oh and "within specs" quality amps usually behaves ok when driven close
and slightly over their limits and still sounds "ok" not so well
designed stuff can behave really bad .

In the early 90's I saw magazine actually measuring amps with a real
speakers , they built a very robust speaker not intended for listening
but it had typical anomalies that real world speakers have like phase
and impedance shifts reverse EMF and such things , nonlinear coils in
the xover .

The best amps pretty much behaved as their specifications even if those
where the typical 8 ohm resistive load specs, they did not change much
with real speaker as load.
Lesser amps did not reach thier specs in these kind of tests .

What I want to say is that the old sayings that measurements don't tell
the whole story is kind of true but not in the way many audiophile's
think .
But rather if we had the rigth kind of measurements against a common
standard they could tell us much more that they actually do . Having the
spec wars of the 80's in fresh memory:)

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )