Patrick wrote:

> Well, I am trying it on purpose. What I want to do is, using an usual
> asus hardware router (wl500gP), then put an openwrt 2.6 kernel to it
> which boots debian from an usb stick. Since flash media has limited
> writes cycles I wanted to use unionfs/aufs in order to write changes /
> logs etc. to ram .. but sometimes I need modifications to be done
> permanently, thus infact I would need that.
> But isnt there another way? e.g. copying / mount-moving/binding
> real_root to the union or something like that?

Why not make the underlying flash filesystem read-only in the union, but
read-write in the actual mount of the mtd device, and then write to the
underlying file system when you want to persist things.

By changing the read-only flag in the union, you dont really have any
control over how much is persisted unless you know _exactly_ what _all_
your running processes are doing.

After all, writes to the underlying filesystem is one of the things aufs
is supposed to do better than unionfs (which doesnt really do it at all)
and why we are currently eager to migrate to a 2.6 setup on our ARM system.

/Flemming