Patrick:
> logs etc. to ram .. but sometimes I need modifications to be done
> permanently, thus infact I would need that.
> But isnt there another way? e.g. copying / mount-moving/binding
> real_root to the union or something like that?

I think it depends on your initramfs.
As long as you use initramfs, you cannot see /real_root, can you?
If aufs introduces a new option which enables changeing permission mode
of a hidden branch, you cannot write to it directly.

But here is an idea, which might be rather complex operation.
- introduce some mount options,
        + idel:<branch index>
          removes a branch specified by index, instead of path.
        + imod:<branch index>:<new permission>
          modifies a permission mode of the branch specified by index, instead
of path.
        + imove:<old branch index>:<new branch index>
          re-order the branches, from <old> to <new>. it might be dangerous.
        + coo
          copyup on open
        + nocoo
          disables coo
- mount -o remount,imod:1:rw,imove:1:0,imod:1:ro,coo /your/aufs
- head -1 /your/aufs/whatever/you/want/to/copyup
- mount -o remount,imod:1:rw,imove:1:0,imod:1:ro,nocoo /your/aufs

Is that what you need?

Junjiro Okajima