I had the same issue the other day when compiling the latest stable
3.0.1 tree. I copied over to the kernel src dir the necessary aufs2.1
files and applied *-{base,standalone}.patch but I failed to compile for
the exact same error. That error could come from not checking out
aufs2.1 from aufs2-util, or else, not applying the loopback and another
pach—which I don't remember the name—in your kernel directory in case
you planned to include aufs in your kernel tree—which I did. I cannot
remember exactly which one generated the compile failure but it's either
one of both,—notably not checking out aufs2.1 for you because you did
not include aufs src files into your kernel,—because I runned into those
two issues which I solved by—
        —check out aufs2.1 into aufs2-util;
then come another compile failure which I don't remember as well solved
by—
        —apply the two other patches;
or the other way around.

However, you said that you checked out aufs2.1 from aufs2-util, so I
don't really know what could have been gone wrong in your case.

You did not need to redo everything from scratch but alas you did.

Take care,
tokiclover.

download at:  http://p.sf.net/sfu/wandisco-dev2dev