Fran ois:
> Basically the two only things where I did not follow the README are:
> - Applying the aufs3-loopback.patch, not mentioned in README
> - Not doing the "fs-aufs" module renaming mentioned in README

Appling aufs3-loopback.patch is good.
But if you don't use a loopback-mounted branch, you don't need it.
And, about the module name, I don't think it a problem since you
succeeded loading aufs already.

I want to make sure that you did compile your kernel AFTER appling
aufs3-loopback.patch, and loaded aufs module on that kernel.
Right?

> A third thing I forgot to mention is that I am using userspace tools
> from the debian squeeze (old-stable) package "aufs-tools".
> It used to work perfectly with my old kernel (linux 3.0.50 with aufs
> patch), and I'm unable to compile the newest aufs-utils for some header
> issue in /usr/include. Still, I probably shouldn't be able to generate a
> BUG from a userspace tool.

I am not sure there is a difference between aufs-util.git#aufs3.9 and
debian squeeze package. But I am sure you should use the correctly
corresponding version of aufs-util.git for system.
For /usr/include, please refer to two README files. One in
aufs3-standalone.git and the other is in aufs-util.git.

> Could any of those 3 things be the cause of the BUG?

Currently I am guessing these.
- "aufs-tools" is unrelaeted
- "fs-aufs" is unreleated either
- you might load aufs module on the non-patched kernel

And next time when you post, please add the necessary info which is
described in aufs README file.

J. R. Okajima