"Christoph Pleger":
> I am exporting as readonly from the NFS server and I am using aufs on the
> client to make files and directories writable there. To achieve this, I
> changed/added some things in the initrd nfs script: Instead of mounting
> the NFS filesystem to /root, the script mounts it to /roroot, then creates
> a writable aufs filesystem by
>
> ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmpfs
> mount -t aufs -o dirs=/tmp=rw:/roroot=ro union1 /root

The "mounts" attachment is empty.
But I can guess your /roroot is NFS, and it is exported readonly on NFS
server.

For NFS branch, there are two levels of permission check.
- dir's cached permission bits only, no server interaction.
- ask NFS server.

I guess your case has fallen to the second level, and the workaround wil
be necessary as Yair Yarom is doing. Also I am afraid that 'dirperm1'
option won't help.
But this is a little surprise to me since aufs has already solved this
issue many years before if I remember correctly. I wonder some recent
changes in NFS may be affected. I'll check when I have time.

J. R. Okajima