Hello,

> The "mounts" attachment is empty.

A strange behaviour I did not know about before: scp
root@nfs_client:/proc/mounts indeed reproducably creates an empty file on
my workstation. First creating a local copy and then scp-ing it worked, I
attached the result.

> But I can guess your /roroot is NFS, and it is exported readonly on NFS
> server.
>
> For NFS branch, there are two levels of permission check.
> - dir's cached permission bits only, no server interaction.
> - ask NFS server.
>
> I guess your case has fallen to the second level

What I do not understand here, is why the NFS server does not allow the
operation, though it does if the directory is exported read-write (I
tested that).

Regards
  Christoph