Hi Ralf and Andreas,
In my reading of the submission guidelines, mosmortium is clearly wrong.
It is entirely irrelevant if the featureset of the package frequently
changes or whatever—as long as they are not updating the build process
in the PKGBUILD, they are not supposed to commit new pkgvers for git
packages.
I’m not sure what the response procedure for this would be, but it’s
clearly violating the AUR rules, and possibly a moderator should request
the maintainer to cease these kinds of updates.
~ kleines Filmröllchen
Am 27.09.26 um 13:24 schrieb Andreas Reichel:
On Sun, 2026-09-27 at 13:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
The tone has changed. This distorts the significance of stable, release-
based non-CVS packages compared to CVS packages. I have no idea how to
respond to this:
" morsmortium commented on 2026-09-27 11:02 (UTC)
I will not argue this anymore.
Someone having a crash and losing work is a larger annoyance than
someone having to do a 5 second rebuild, and this happened at times.
It will get reduced over time, when the library will become more stable.
If you think this is so large of a violation of the guidelines, you are
free to send an orphan/adoption request and make Arch staff decide it."
- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-nocsd-git
Ralf,
I am just an accountant and have in general no idea what I am doing,
but I have been facing this very same problem on both sides of the
equation:
1) for any reason there are version numbers (and everybody wants to
understand them as "stable" or "secure")
2) while the developer pretty much runs it as rolling release where
every commit is the latest greatest version per definition (<-- that's
usually me 😄 )
I have solved it by deriving a minor or minor-minor version direct
from the GIT build number per `git describe` and so creating pseudo
"stable" releases (instead of just calling it a "-SNAPSHOT").
So JSQLParser 5.3 (stable) became JSQLParser 5.3.719 (which in fact
was the 719 commit after the 5.3 release).
And I am doing the same now for AURSCAN, since "-git" was also not
compatible with some package guidelines.
Maybe this can help you to find a workaround because I actually do
understand morsmortium's point.
Best and cheers
Andreas