On Sun, 2026-09-27 at 18:34 +0200, Claudia Pellegrino wrote:
> I have reached out to the PKGBUILD owner. [0]
> 
> [0]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-nocsd-git#comment-1086602

Thank you, Claudia,

I see it the same way you do, the guidelines aren't perfect, and I also
understand morsmortium's good intentions.

>From my personal perspective, however, the guidelines are already
perfect. I view CVS PKGBUILDs as a substitute for local clones that I
would install using, for example, "make install", except that the
PKGBUILDs allow me to install a package instead. I use CVS packages, for
example, when a software release is causing me problems and upstream
wants me to test a commit to see if the problem is fixed, or because I'm
curious, or... in any case, it can be confusing when there isn't a
"serious reason" for a version bump.

As for the use of AUR helpers, one could of course use
/etc/pacman.conf’s IgnorePkg, and anyone who doesn’t use any helpers
isn’t, of course, immediately forced to build the package anyway, but
Atte has pointed out that AUR helpers seem to take a different,
effective approach in this area, and at least I’m among those who find
the guideline in this regard appropriate. I don’t know what’s best for
most people.

Regards,
Ralf

Reply via email to