Hi all,

> I’m not sure what the response procedure for this would be, but it’s
> clearly violating the AUR rules, and possibly a moderator should request
> the maintainer to cease these kinds of updates.

I have reached out to the PKGBUILD owner. [0]

[0]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-nocsd-git#comment-1086602


Regards
Claudia


On 27.09.26 6:00 PM, kleines Filmröllchen wrote:
Hi Ralf and Andreas,

In my reading of the submission guidelines, mosmortium is clearly wrong. It is entirely irrelevant if the featureset of the package frequently changes or whatever—as long as they are not updating the build process in the PKGBUILD, they are not supposed to commit new pkgvers for git packages.

I’m not sure what the response procedure for this would be, but it’s clearly violating the AUR rules, and possibly a moderator should request the maintainer to cease these kinds of updates.

~ kleines Filmröllchen

Am 27.09.26 um 13:24 schrieb Andreas Reichel:
On Sun, 2026-09-27 at 13:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
The tone has changed. This distorts the significance of stable, release-
based non-CVS packages compared to CVS packages. I have no idea how to
respond to this:

" morsmortium commented on 2026-09-27 11:02 (UTC)

I will not argue this anymore.
Someone having a crash and losing work is a larger annoyance than
someone having to do a 5 second rebuild, and this happened at times.
It will get reduced over time, when the library will become more stable.
If you think this is so large of a violation of the guidelines, you are
free to send an orphan/adoption request and make Arch staff decide it."
- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-nocsd-git

Ralf,

I am just an accountant and have in general no idea what I am doing, but I have been facing this very same problem on both sides of the equation:

1) for any reason there are version numbers (and everybody wants to understand them as "stable" or "secure") 2) while the developer pretty much runs it as rolling release where every commit is the latest greatest version per definition (<-- that's usually me 😄 )

I have solved it by deriving a minor or minor-minor version direct from the GIT build number per `git describe` and so creating pseudo "stable" releases (instead of just calling it a "-SNAPSHOT"). So JSQLParser 5.3 (stable) became JSQLParser 5.3.719 (which in fact was the 719 commit after the 5.3 release).

And I am doing the same now for AURSCAN, since "-git" was also not compatible with some package guidelines.

Maybe this can help you to find a workaround because I actually do understand morsmortium's point.

Best and cheers
Andreas

Attachment: OpenPGP_0xD11E9FC4F7C9DA3C.asc
Description: OpenPGP public key

Attachment: OpenPGP_signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

Reply via email to