Having just received a letter to Presidents of clubs , re Aviate in April and the goal of raising GFA membership above 3000.

Looking at statistics, there are currently 2864 listed members in GFA, of which 458 currently have overdue memberships, in the middle of the soaring season ( admittedly a number expired in the last 1-3 months and may be slow to renew, and some are trial and visiting overseas memberships, will they be renewing?) but that is 16% of membership that are overdue.

In our club there are a total 20 members, of which are 4 training pilots ( of varying ages, 16 -70+) and some are near to solo level. Most of club members, 65%, are over 50. We have lost more off the top end in recent years due to age, and also switching to RA Aus flying than we have attracted new. 5 members live elsewhere and only attend a few times a year. 2 are inactive (non-flying) members and fly RA Aus. 3 members are private owners.

By age, 10 who are 60+ yo, 3 in 50's, 4 in 40's and 3 who are 30 or younger.

We have two instructors who have been active in the club for 20 - 30 years, they are near retirement age in their professions and have a life outside gliding and will more so once they give up regular work. 3 other long term instructors have passed away in recent years and another has moved away.

We have one regular member (less than 50 yo) who may qualify to consider training as an instructor in the future.

Our club only flys on Saturdays, usually 4 students turn up, 1 or 2 private owner pilots, 2 instructors , but not always available each weekend, and 1 or 2 solo pilots.

The future of our club looks shaky for the future survival. Of the 4 training, its likely 2 -3 of them may not necessarily remain in the area for any length of time.

This is more a statement of situation that I would feel there are other clubs in similar situation.

Peter B

---