At 02:04 AM 7/11/03 +1100, you wrote:
>At 18:38 04-11-03 +1000, Mike B wrote:
>
>>You are allowed to be within 1000 feet vertically of cloud when you are
>>below 3000 feet AMSL or within 1000 feet of the ground but you are required
>>to have and use radio under these circumstances. I don't know that gliders
>>are exempt from this.
>>
>>Mike
>>Borgelt Instruments
>

>Gliders are quite definitely NOT exempt from carrying and using radio to
>use  this "relaxed" VMC condition.  However, at present the rule requires
>one to monitor either the Area VHF frequency or the CTAF or MBZ frequency
>when within the effective airspace for such a frequency.
>
>So unless Whitwarta has a proclaimed CTAF, the glider should have been on
>the Area frequency and not 122.7  to be flying so close to the cloud base.
>
>The aeroplane also should have been on that frequency, but was either
>descending out of cloud on an instrument approach procedure, or  descending
>to a level at or above the route or area published lowest safe IFR
>altitude,  or was VFR and flying along right at cloudbase.  I do not know
>if there are any IFR approaches ion that area, or what the IFR LSALT is, so
>will not jump to any conclusions.
>
>The interesting question is WHICH OF THE SEVERAL "RECOMMENDED"  FREQUENCIES
>SHOULD ONE USE FOR THIS REDUCED VMC CRITERION AFTER 27 NOVEMBER?  This, I
>suspect, is one of the problems that professional IFR pilots have with the
>NAS as proposed for impending implementation, including the "optional" CTAF
>frequency monitoring and indefinite size of a "US CTAF".

Probably the CTAF if there is one and you are in the vicinity of an
aerodrome, otherwise the multicom(126.7) under the same circumstances. If
it is a gliding field  it might be a good idea for the club to use the
multicom in the circuit area instead of 122.7 or the other gliding
frequencies or standardise on 122.7 and not .5 or .9 in the circuit area
then if you see a gliding symbol on the map you can use 122.7.

There is nothing optional about the CTAF monitoring if you are using that
aerodrome and have a radio. The indefinite size isn't a problem either it
gives you the option of delaying your call until closer in if you are
flying a Storch at 60knots or making it further out if in a 200+ knot
aircraft. In both cases the call might be more useful. In any case at least
it is less likely that two head on aircraft both have pilots going head
down to change frequency in exactly the same place.

The so called professional IFR pilots seem to think that IFR was invented
so they didn't have to look out. They do in VMC. IFR was invented to let
them fly in cloud.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784