Ron

Earlier this year, Southern Cross and Bathurst Clubs both went through
similar turmoil with our DG-1000 and DG-505 trailers respectively.

At the time, David Harkness was the Manager, road user protection and
investigation of the RTA.

As supplied, our Komet trailer had an overhang of 5300 mm and the width was
just over 2000 mm.

They insisted of an overhang of no more than 5000mm and width of 2000mm, so
we moved the axle back a bit, which increased towbar loading slightly, but
not too badly.  I'm not sure what we did about the width of it all, or
whether they eventually relented and let us get it through as-is.

Tom Gilbert did the mods for Bathurst's trailer, and we got an ex-member's
father who is a mechanic to fix ours up.

At the time, Vicroads seemed to be the most visible leader of the state roads
authorities, and their glider trailer exemptions seemed to be the way other
states were going.  The Vicroads brochure
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/trum/tr1998002.pdf) was the only
publication I've seen that explains glider trailer issues.

NSW were being brought in line with the other states. The approval that is
granted is similar to Vicroads in that a copy of the approval is to be carried
by the driver and presented to the relevent authorities on demand.

Good luck with it all.  It's not what I'd call fun !

Jason Armistead
Southern Cross Gliding Club

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:39:27 +1100, Ron Sanders wrote