A comment on two posts:

>It may indeed be an good idea for a discrete transponder code for gliders.

>It may be helpful to ATC when you are in radar coverage to know the return

>is a glider which is usually changing altitude all the time and will stop

>to circle from time to time. Don't know if the moving target filter will

>drop you off when circling.

A discrete code for gliders sounds like an excellent idea. The moving target filter only affects primary radar returns, not secondary returns so a squawking thermalling glider would still show up the same as squawking taxying aircraft show on radar.

>I'm told every glider now has its own transponder code. Its on the CASA or >Airservices web site somewhere, I  believe.

CAA couldn't allocate a separate code for every glider because that would also mean that there would be a separate code for all aircraft. Since there are only 4096 individual mode 3 transponder codes minus those already allocated 12XX, 30XX, 50XX, 75XX, 77XX etc, this wouldn't leave enough codes to allocate one for each aircraft. The best we could hope for would be a code for all gliders to differentiate from VFR and IFR power traffic which would be useful for ATC. The danger of suggesting this to CASA is if some gliders fit transponders, CAA may remove the exemption to all gliders for fitting transponders.

Regards,

Pat Barfield