As we (Canberra Gliding Club) have a glider and trailer on the water at the
moment I've been following the trailer registration issue up with our local
authority (ACT motor registry).

As has been mentioned by others, GFA and VicRoads did some work about 4
years ago that led to the issue of a VicRoads bulleting allowing up to 5m
overhang on trailers (the bulletin is available for download form the
VicRoads website (www.vicroads.vic.gov.au), easy enough to find from the
links. (National motor vehicle regulations specify 3.7m as maximum
overhang.)

It appears at the time there was some sort of understanding that other
jurisdictions would also take the same path but it appears this was never
set on paper and signed off. As a result, other jurisdictions have gone on
somewhat separate directions.

In talking with ACT rego people, they were quite unmoved by the fact that
VicRoads had an eminently sensible way around the problem and, gee, it's all
a bit hard. They were also not swayed by the fact that we already have about
a dozen "non complying" trailers down at the field, many of them on ACT
registration.

But as luck would have it, there is a gathering here in Canberra next week
of registration people from all the states and territories. The guy from ACT
rego undertook that, if I gave him some background information, he would put
together a discussion paper on the issue and table it.

I have subsequently spoken to GFA in Melbourne, my contacts in the
Commonwealth Dept of Transport and Regional Services here in Canberra (where
I worked for some 16 years in the roads side of life), also at VicRoads, and
found out the background to the VicRoads position. The original paperwork on
the analysis of the trailers is still alive and well in VicRoads.

Perhaps next week might just take us a bit closer to a uniform and sensible
resolution.

If we can't make any progress with ACT, we just might have to go over the
border to Queanbeyan and register our trailer in NSW. That is, after all,
where our field is.

As an aside, if you are importing a trailer, make sure you get an "approval
to import a vehicle" permit from the Commonwealth before it arrives here in
Australia to save yourself a lot of heartache.

Allan Armistead
ph (02) 6249 6470, fax (02) 6249 6555, mobile 0413 013 911
PO Box 908, Dickson ACT 2602, Australia

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always will be."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Armistead;Allan
FN:Allan Armistead
ORG:Allan Armistead Consulting International
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(02) 6249-6470
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(02) 6249-6470
TEL;CELL;VOICE:0413 013 911
TEL;WORK;FAX:(02) 6249-6555
ADR;WORK:;;PO Box 908;DICKSON;ACT;2602;Australia
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:PO Box 908=0D=0ADICKSON, ACT 2602=0D=0AAustralia
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:20020314T051104Z
END:VCARD