I disagree. Past failure doesn't mean it can't be
done, and it's not THAT hard to put some
footage/soundtrack/narrative together that will
achieve the aim - to provide a short intro to
'gliding' that can be distributed far & wide cheaply.
A dvd won't instantly bring a deluge of new members
but it could help things along somewhat if used in the
right way.

 --- Terry Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

---------------------------------

The direction of this project is of some concern; it
suggeststhat we've learnt little from previous
adventures in this area.

GFA Executive and Council has been down this road
before in the past. I know - I was there.   The one
thing I recall from previouspromotional ventures was
that  gliding people, even dedicated glidingpeople are
not very good at it, especially in the selection
anddevelopment of promotional material - movies,
videos, brochures and thelike.   Most of us who were
still around at that time will remember thesaga of the
"two brochures".

We approach the challenge from our background and
experience,notunderstanding that the people we are
trying to reach usually see"gliding" in a totally
different perspective.    Quite a few people inthis
list have already come in enthusiastically with what
we thinkwould be"good stuff".   While it is - for us -
it probably won't succeed inmaking the sport
sufficiently attractive to the outsider to want tohave
a flight with the view of "taking it up".

This exercise needs to be undertaken by a professional
public relationsoutfit, and we have to be prepared to
sit on our hands and believe andimplement what they
come up with.   We also have to be prepared to paywhat
they ask and it ain't cheap.   These are two reasons
why we willalmost certainlynot go down that road.
Thus history will be repeated.

I wish the GFA committee well.  However, unless they
draw onsignificant expertise in the advertising and
promotional game fromwithin their own ranks, or are
prepared to seek same from elsewhere ifthey are short
in that area, I have to be just a little bit
scepticalof any spectacular or even significant
results.

Whatever they decide to do, it won't be easy.  We all
know that glidingis a fantastic sport.  However the
huge majority of the generalpopulationwill never be
convinced.

Sorry to be so gloomy, but that's how it is.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com