Mike Borgelt wrote:

<bits snipped to get to the guts ...>

You will be restricted to:-

Under Class C
8,500 between 36 and 50nm DME
FL125 between 50 and 65nm DME
FL180 between 65 and 90nm DME

The base of the Class E is at 8500 from 50 to 90nm.

You are free to fly in Class E in gliders even without a transponder unless within 40nm of a Class D tower when you can still fly there but must have a Mode C transponder.

</snips>

Now, the problems that I see with that Mike, are these.

1. Class E requires that ATC can see all VFR, including a glider, so that they can provide IFR protection, which is their legal mandate. If they can't see the glider, they can't do that. You say that "You are free to fly in Class E in gliders even without a transponder", but I can't buy that. Why ? Simple. ATC can only "guarantee protection for IFR" if it can "see" VFR traffic, and with respect to gliders, they can only do that, IF AND ONLY IF:-
(a) the glider is painted on primary radar (which they can only do within 40nm, since the primary radar feeds to the TAAATs terminals are gated to 40nm), but since you can't fly within 40nm of a D Tower anyway (and that is why, ie, the 40nm primary radar display gate), this issue is mute.
(b) outside 40nm, the glider must be painted on secondary radar, SSR, by transponder.

So, if you don't have one (and VERY few do), you can't fly in E outside 40nm, at any altitude / level, period.

Consequently, as I see it, we are EFFECTIVELY excluded from E, without a transponder, regardless of your statement above.

2. Upgrading our avionics by installing transponders and / or ADSB gear in the near term is not practical for most clubs. They are way too expensive to even buy, let alone maintain to current TSO's so as to be legal. Most clubs would go broke just getting them serviced every 3 months. Then there are the installation issues, not to mention battery issues. In short, the mass fitting of transponders to gliders is not viable.

3. It is no secret that future NAS implimentations will further extend areas of E, and lower the bases of E, so huge volumes of existing G will be effectively excluded as E grows.