Roger Cox wrote, among other things, “If there is a means of making oneself aware of mishaps in this sport already available please let me know.”

There is a world-wide wealth of gliding accident information accessible from the internet, and the lessons from around the world are just as relevant to us in here in Australia – for as has been previously stated: there are no new accidents, just repeats of old ones.

One good source is the NTSB database, which can be accessed through http://www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/ntsb.html

Then there is the British AAIB, which has a good selection of glider accident reports at http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/index.cfm

Some well-documented analysis by the French BEA can be found at http://bea.aero/anglaise/rapports/rap.htm.  I recommend you review the studies titled “Mid-air collisions” and “Glider accidents 1999-2001”.

A google search can return a surprising amount of data.

The astute observer will note that all these references and reports are prepared by the Government Agency of the country of origin – not the sporting body of those countries.  It is unfortunate that in Australia the ATSB sees fit to divorce itself from the investigation of sporting aviation accidents.

Christopher Thorpe