Roger Cox wrote:

> 1,$s/accident/incident/g if it makes you feel better

Is the above meant to be a link/url to accidents/incidents lists?

No, it's just a bit of geekery:  "For every line in the text, replace
"accident" with "incident".  I was addressing a correspondent who
lamented the fact that we were talking about accidents and ignoring
incidents.  For the purpose of this discussion, I don't think the
distinction is particularly important.

/Part/ of my 'safety mindset' lies in the desire to know.........what's going down.........I have no [well little] desire to make some other poor souls life more miserable by increasing their workload.

It's more than a workload issue, although that's part of it.

Here's another aspect:

We like to encourage and foster an open, non-judgemental environment
for the reporting of accidents/incidents so that we can learn from them.
If someone feels like they're going to be a laughing-stock, or if they
think they'll be embarrassed about non-confidential handling of a
report, they'll be less likely to make one.

Some personality types don't mind publication of their stuff-ups.  It's
also true, however, that some people will take said publication very
personally indeed.  They've already felt humiliated by having to
write the report in the first place;  How are they going to feel when
it's published to a national audience of their peers?  Are they going
to be more likely, or less likely, to make the report in the first place
if they know it's going to end up in the magazine?

Tact and sensitivity is part of fostering the supportive environment
required to make the system work.

If there is a means of making oneself aware of mishaps in this sport already available please let me know.

The aforementioned GFA safety seminar series is one vector.  Started
a bit haltingly, but Kevin has had plenty of time to work it out.  The
SA seminar at Murray Bridge a couple of months ago attracted 50-odd
pilots, and I'm pretty sure that all of them got something out of it.

The Flight Safety Australia magazine has a "What Went Wrong" column.
Accidents and incidents tend to be agnostic to the aviation discipline
involved;  Even though most of the What Went Wrong columns are
GA-related, we can still benefit from them (and some of them are
gliding related anyway -- Geoff Osborne's famous Cirrus "ejection seat"
story and the Gimli Glider:
http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2000/may/07may12-15.pdf
http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2003/jul/22-27.pdf

Rather than concentrating on mishaps, though, you might be better off
taking a "meta" view:  What is the mindset which leads to a mishap
in the first place?  Are there any recognizeable signs?  How can you
recognize the "links in the chain" (or, using Reason's swiss cheese
model, the "holes in the cheese")?

We all have our "comfort zones", modes of flying where we're pretty
sure that we can deal with anything that comes up.  When our capacity
to deal with mishaps is reduced, we're out of our comfort zones and
we feel, well, uncomfortable.  A trainee in their early stages feels
like that pretty much all the time;  A more experienced pilot very
rarely feels that way.

If we can recognize the psychological cues which tell us that we're
outside our comfort zone, and stop whatever we're doing, create
a plan and make a decision specifically targetted at restoring our
previous levels of comfort, I believe we'll be far less likely to
get into mishap territory in the first place.

The feeling of discomfort one experiences when something, however
non-specific, is in the inexorable process of turning pear-shaped,
ought to be like a klaxon call in our minds.  Think about what's going
on and /make a decision/.  Virtually any decision is likely to be
better than calmly, dumbly, obliviously continuing whatever it is that
you've been doing that's brought you into a place where you'd rather
not be.

  - mark