From: "Dav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in
Australia.'" <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:53:09 +0930
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] WC team

Mark said:

>perhaps for lots of attendees Joey Glide is more about having fun
>with friends than about the actual competition...?)

Call me old fashioned, but I thought competition was what a contest was for.

>When 90% of the pilots attending the comp aren't flying competitively,
>maybe that doesn't matter so much (see next comment)

Then as I said a regatta/camp style event might be a better option?

> I also firmly believe that junior events should be alcohol free during the
> event after experiencing the last Joey glide.

>Well, gee, that'll see them flocking to the event, won't it?

It won't make any difference to under 18's, of whom 16, more than 30%
attended the last Joey glide Mark as it is *illegal* for them to drink.
Unless you think they should be drinking underage?

Mark, do you think drinking alcohol still at Midnight before a flying
contest day is appropriate?

Incidentally I am not a wowser; I don't mind the odd drink or 3 myself! Just
not during competitions by relatively inexperienced pilots, where
dehydration is an ever present and very real danger. It's the example set to
under 18s and as a father I feel it is totally appropriate that I comment
about this matter!

And yes some people define fun as drinking Caleb. My concern is the example
set for under 18s! When you are a father yourself you may understand my
position more.

I hasten to add it was drinking very late at night rather than a few around
the bar after flying I thought inappropriate. On 3 occasions I had to get
out of bed to turn down music which was rattling the walls of my caravan 20
metres away after midnight!!!!! Perhaps a 10 o'clock bar service curfew for
competitors would be more acceptable rather than a total ban?

Perhaps a separate event for under 18's with the emphasis on coaching rather
than competition would be the go, they are my main concern in this.

Fact is the top placed people at the last Joey glide did not drink much at
all during the comp indicating they were there to compete on the contest
days, and not party until the end. They wanted to compete and did, strongly.

Regards All

Dav