Dave,

It depends on the sport.

The rules I faced in Triathlon varied specifically in respect to ³drafting²
when cycling (and swimming). Although at the time the International and
National rules permitted it, most regional comps (in the UK) banned it. This
actually make a huge difference to the sport, placing much more emphasis on
running than either swimming or cycling as those weaker in those disciplines
can now get a free ride.

Sailing changes many rules like you suggest. Particularly in match racing ­
each ³heat² for a national championship may well take place in different
types of boat with different crew numbers (from 3 to 8 from experience).
However, in general, it will be mandatory safety equipment that is altered
at a local level based on the venue, and state or national legislation (for
international events) - unlike gliding, sailing has fixed international
rules that can not be changed on a national or local basis, however, the
event structure can. E.g. Choice of boats, crew limits (number of weight),
handicap systems (if any), safety equipment, required qualifications,
scoring, penalties, etc.

Motor Racing, depending on the exact type is similar again !