-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Cleaver
Sent: Sunday, 22 April 2007 10:20 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] accident rate for gliders in Australia

I will do a little more research - but the person who wrote those
words was Sir Francis Chichester - already an accomplished yachtsman
when he made several pioneering flights in the 1930s involving
long-range navigation using novel methods to locate his goal (often a
small island in a large ocean).

Later he returned to yachting, and made the first single-handed
non-stop circumnavigation of he globe when well into his 60s.

Wombat