I am not quite sure how to say my thoughts on this, as I don't want to
suggest that we are wrong to be looking at accidents in this way. but
I'll try to make my point as I'd like some opinions from the group...

Civil aviation is not made safe by accidents. It is the understanding
of the mechanisms of failure, and continual montitoring that achieves
it. Of course, when an accident does occur, all measures are put in
place to avoid at reoccuring, it has to happen. But it is always too
late. Much less can be learned from a fatal accident than a near miss,
as you tend to remove the key witnesses.

I'd like to see information on the psychology behind those near miss
moments we have all have at some point in our flying regardless of
experience, and how we can approach them in the future to reduce the
chance of it happening.  The small stuff, which can become the big
stuff. like..... 'Why did i miss out Airbrakes on my check?' how did i
allow myself to get too low on circuit? ' ' why didnt i see him
earlier?'
There may have been books written on this in the past but I have seen
little on this. Many accidents appear to be the result of pilot error,
dispite many years of flying experience. What is the real cause? We
could look at a thousand accidents and would we be any the wiser? Are
we looking in the right place?