Many accidents seem to be along the lines of familiarity breeding contempt (as
evidenced by experienced pilots being involved in serious accidents).

When you look through the accident synopses, a common thread is a cutting of
corners or not following accepted practice or procedure (i.e. Mt Hotham
chieftan crash, Lockhart River). Or doing something that you have not been
adequately trained and briefed in.

I would have to check, but it seems that instructors are over represented in
Gliding accidents.
This may be in part that they do more flying, and are exposed to the higher
risk phases (i.e. take-off landing) of flight more often (number of take-offs
and landings) than non-instructors. Talking from experience, things can go awry
quickly because you may be underloaded and then overloaded. As instructors (and
as non-instructors) expect and plan for emergencies always.

I am sure no-one ever deliberately goes out to have an accident, but lapses of
judgement do occur. When these do occur, there needs to be mature reflection
with a no blame approach (hence to foster a reporting culture of near misses so
we can all learn).

It is up to us as pilots to have good self-checks in place as well as
redundancy. And as instructors to impress upon our students and other pilots to
have good inflight discipline and to foster a safety culture.

For example, when I fly power, I do a downwind check (e.g. Brakes,
Undercarriage (three greens), Mixture, Fuel Tanks and Pumps On, ?Cowl Flaps set
as required, Flaps set appropriately, All Harnesses secured)

Then on final I do a PUFFC check
(Props set full fine, Undercarriage locked down (three greens), Landing Flaps,
Cowl Flaps, Clearance to land received)

So you can see some duplication here, may seem silly, but less expensive than a
wheels up.

So could there be merit in a FUST check on final as well as downwind?

Just thinking out aloud.

M.T.