On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:54:37 +1000, Mike Borgelt wrote:
>I'm happy to support a 50% + reduction in Australian CO2 emissions
>by
>2023. This is simple to do and completely within current
>technological capabilities. Just replace all coal fired base load
>electricity generation with nuclear, build extra capacity to replace
>the peak load gas fired turbines and shed the extra to water
>desalinators when not required for the grid. When I see this plan
>being pushed by the greenies we'll all know they are serious.

To avoid this getting seriously off-topic for aus-soaring
there is a tiny bit of gliding content included.

I earn my living by not talking about climate change, or government
or industry fixing anything.
I deal with individual households, one at a time.
That way I don't need a silver bullet, as suggested above.
I simply show that demand can be managed to a level where on-site
renewables achieve full supply.
The payoff then is not only reduced operating costs, but also
guarantee of supply.

For those interested in numbers
my own quarter century exemplar 2.6kWhr/day from 0.5kW system
For clients the more standard built and measured at  5 kWhr/day

against the ruling standard  5Star = 21kWhr/day

Now where did I learn this?
>From my gliding contact.
While Cessnas cut holes in the sky at large hp, a sailplane can do a
somewhat similar job at miniscule hp
Winches put gliders into the air at 20% of the fuel of a tug.

Now, the debates can rage about 'these are not equal things', and
some will always want to continue to fly off aerotow, just as lots
insist on living in cardboard boxes.

The point above simply is that there are more options in hand than
many wish to expose themselves to.
My legacy will be the numbers of households I have helped get it
together over my lifetime; just as the hundreds of people brought
into the sport; and right now offered re-entry into sailplaning by
other means than the old tired ones.