Stuart + others

Well it is a pity we have such a law as CAR 252A (without reading it) as I
would consider all aviators should be encouraged not discouraged (high
Aussie price and a requirement to register in AUS) to carry a beacon no
matter where it is registered.  If just one beacon saves an expensive search
paid for by the AUS government and that would save tens of thousands of
dollars.  The only difference I can see between the USA  McMurdo Fastfind
and that sold in Australia is the waterproof pouch and I do not consider
that a high priority for gliding and RAAus aircraft..

I can always remember the night Ian Jacobs went missing north of Narromine
20+ years ago.  A Twin from Hazelton searched for many hours that night.  If
an extra $2.20 had been spent at time of radio installation to give a press
button to light up the display of his radio so he could see the frequencies
$10K would have been saved

Ever since that every radio harness I have ever made (100 to 200 I guess)
includes a DSE japan made press switch .which lights up radio display (pin 8
in Microair and Xcom via button to +ve).  I urge all that have Xcom,
Microair, Becker and Dittel next winter power up their back light for such
an emergency if they do not have it now    .

I can say NOAA post you a sticker and nice letter AND it is received within
5 days of registering beacon on line.All contact numbers are recorded as
Australian numbers and can be updated on thenet at any time. Also I can say
McMurdo fastfind is a very suitable unit for glider use and this day and age
of a world market (ebay etc) I do think people should do not be discouraged
to get one based on price. I do know many yacht friends are buying same
while they are in USA and bringing them back here to register with NOAA!!.

I would say to all buy one in Australia but if not buying because of price
get one in USA for almost 1/2 the price (about$350) and if a sailor buy the
waterproof pouch.

Ian McPhee
PS
Well he informs me he had to give up his USA citizenship when he became in
"the government of a foreign power" and this fact causes him heaps of grief
at the USA border as it is not the done thing to refuse a US passport if you
are born there.