Very nice, now why don't you answer Simon's question?

Mike

At 06:40 PM 1/09/2014, you wrote:
There is no conspiracy here but I admit it is a bit Pythonish!

To fly gliders in Australia one only needs to comply with CAO 95.4. For GFA
members, there is no requirement to hold a licence in order to fly gliders.
You don't even need a GPC to fly gliders unless you want to exercise the
privileges allowed to GPC holders.

For non GFA-member pilots, all they need to do is apply to CASA as per CAO
95.4, paragraph 5.1(a)(ii).

The CASA Glider pilot licence introduced by Part 61 is solely designed to
facilitate the recognition of Australian glider pilots wishing to have their
GFA GPC qualification recognised overseas.

The GFA GPC is the only certificate issued by GFA that is recognised by CASA
as compliant with ICAO Annex 1 and is the minimum requirement to get a CASA
GPL.  Currently most National Aviation Administration Authorities (NAAAs)
only recognise licences issued by the NAAA of ICAO member states.

The new CASA GPL is expected to make it easier for Australian pilots to
obtain overseas qualifications and overcome past difficulties experienced by
many of our pilots.

Regards

Christopher Thorpe
Executive Manager, Operations | Gliding Federation of Australia (ABN 82 433
264 489) | Level 1, 34 Somerton Road | Somerton | Victoria 3062
M: +61 4 1447 6151 | E: e...@glidingaustralia.org | w:
www.glidingaustralia.org

This email transmission may contain confidential or privileged information
that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the email
address.  If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance upon the contents of this
email is strictly prohibited.