On 05/29/17 01:56 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@oracle.com> wrote:

We still ship a couple closed source shells in Solaris - the SVR4 Bourne Shell
as /usr/sunos/bin/sh and a modified ksh88 as /usr/xpg4/bin/sh, but our primary
day to day shells are the common open source ones - bash, ksh93, zsh, etc.

Is there any bugfix in /usr/sunos/bin/sh that is not in the Svr4 compatile
copmpile variant of bosh? Or is it unmodified since the Sun updates for
OpenSolaris stopped?

I have no idea what is or is not in bosh.  Most of the changes on our side
since that source stopped being published were to adapt to changing build
environments and to prepare for it's EOL.

Is your ksh88 managed in a way that keeps it compatible with the evolving POSIX
standard?

We aren't chasing moving targets here - we're targeting stable releases like
UNIXv7.  We have fixed several bugs in our /usr/xpg4/bin/sh that were needed
to pass various cases in the UNIXv7 test suite in past years.

Did you upgrade ksh93 since 2010?

Yes - you can see that we're using the 2012-08-01 release in our open source trees at:
https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/tree/master/components/ksh93

If yes, have you been able to keep it as fast as it was in OpenSolaris?

I have no idea - I don't know what commonly accepted shell benchmark we'd
use to tell.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersm...@oracle.com
         Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc