Yes, the JAX-RPC and JAXWS should have common SAAJ impl.
I don't think that JavaEE 5 spec mandate SAAJ 1.2 for JAX-RPC handlers.
They must use common SAAJ 1.3 impl.
The common SAAJ 1.3 impl for Axis 1 / Axis 2 will strike a great blow
to Axis1 impl.
(OM for Axis1 ? or Axis 1 restructuring)

If Geronimo adopt flexible architecture in JAX-RPC/JAX-WS impl (eg.
Axis1/Axis2, Celtix, XFire, the SAAJ impl should go with the specific
JAX-RPC/JAX-WS impl.

-- Jongjin