From: Dennis Sosnoski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 12:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Document style web services

Steve Loughran wrote:

>As an aside, does *anyone* use UDDI?
>
>-steve

I'm personally really puzzled by the logic behind UDDI. As far as I can
see there's a huge gap between the reality of what can be done using
UDDI and the marketing concept behind it (which seems to be that you can

have your programs automatically look up and connect to services).

Where UDDI starts to make sense to me is when you have standardized
interfaces to particular types of services - then the dynamic lookup and

use is actually possible. I don't know of any types of services that are

actually standardized in this manner, though. Perhaps ebXML is the
missing piece of the puzzle here. Without interface standardization,
simple web-page directories of services (such as XMethods and the like)
seem far more useful than UDDI.

This is not knocking UDDI - I think it's a great tool, I just don't see
any real use for it. :-) I'd love to be corrected on this if I'm
overlooking something.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services Support
http://www.sosnoski.com