I'm seeing dreadful performance using Axis with multiple concurrent calls.

I have a simple test app which runs some PL/SQL.  In single user mode, it works
quickly across an Axis call (Axis on both client and server), taking about a second to
complete.

I've ramped up the app and have 10 concurrent threads doing the same call.  The PL/SQL
is now taking between 140ms and 1372ms, which is fair enough, and the actual call
after the Axis bit (ie inside the method that is exposed using Axis) varies between
2173ms and 2424ms.

These figures I can live with, and I'm sure there are further optimizations I can put
into my architecture to reduce this time.

However, the total call time varies between 7331ms and 10445ms.  I appear to be losing
between 5 and 8 seconds simply doing Axis comms.

Anyone got any tips on how to speed this up, or ideas of why it's so bad?

Axis 1.1rc1, JBoss 3.0.4 app server, jdk 1.4.0, windows NT.

Tim.