I've seen similar concurrency problems in Axis while I was doing a performance project for a customer. This was last Summer when Axis was still very, very new. I haven't had a chance to dig into the code but I suspect there is a problem with the way Axis handles threads and globals.

If you need to compare Axis performance to other SOAP implementations then take a look at my open-source performance kits at:
http://www.pushtotest.com/ptt/kits/index.html

-Frank

--
Frank Cohen, Founder, PushToTest, http://www.PushToTest.com, phone: 408 374 7426
Come to PushToTest for free open-source test automation solutions that test and monitor