SuSE must be particularly oddball if this is a significant problem. I've
probably built 200+ linux based servers/dev boxes in my time and don't blink
an eyelash at ripping out perl in particular. I mean RedHat should just be
renamed 'broken interpreted languages' distro, its the 1st thing you have to
do...

I wouldn't rip it out though, I would just compile 5.8.2, but don't do make
install. You can then test anything you want. Basically you have a
more-or-less working perl and at least in theory you can make private
installs of other modules that use it for testing purposes.  Once your
satisfied that it will work (and don't be too intimidated, perl is really
easy to compile, just answer all the questions default and you should be fine
unless you need 'multiplicity' or whatnot, then you may need to change a
couple answers).

Mercilessly rip out existing perl ;o). Do your make install on the new
version. Now when you compile XML::LibXML just do perl MakeFile.PL
LIBS='-L=/where/I/put/working/libxml2 -I=/working/libxml/includes' and you
should have no problems with THAT (assuming you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH
including that location or whatnot).

After that you'll need to recompile mod_perl, but again that really isn't
normally a big deal as long as you have the source code for the Apache you're
running. With Mandrake at least its just a 'devel' RPM because all you really
need is apxs, the .h files, and in Apache 2.x the APR libraries.

Bet you can do it in under 2 hours.

On Friday 23 January 2004 9:54 pm, Kermit Tensmeyer wrote:
> [...]

Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain
http://www.giantelectronicbrain.com