<SNIP>

> (hmm) I'm reinstalling with suse 9.0 at this point, but for
> the last 5 SuSE
> releases, I've found better results, by -not- using the RPM's
> (well I allow
> the RPM's to be installed to mungle the dependcies list for
> RPM),  but I
> install/recompile  Perl,  Apache, mod-perl and AxKit.
>  As soon as there is a problem, the first recomendation that
> you will get
> (most cases...) is to rebuild the packages with the latest revision.
>   And I have /never/ had success updating an RPM built perl with CPAN
> modules. Your mileage will vary...

<SNIP>

> Mercilessly rip out existing perl ;o). Do your make install
> on the new
> version. Now when you compile XML::LibXML just do perl MakeFile.PL
> LIBS='-L=/where/I/put/working/libxml2
> -I=/working/libxml/includes' and you
> should have no problems with THAT (assuming you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> including that location or whatnot).

OK, realising that attempting with the RPM's appears not to be the preferred approach,
I've taken the bull by the horns and have tried to install everything from src.

I started by removing the apache/perl etc. RPM's and have then been trying to follow
the Red Hat 9 WIKI guide which is mostly relevant:

http://www.axkit.org/wiki/view/AxKit/AxKitRedHat9#

Briefly, including version numbers:

I changed /etc/sysconfig/language
I installed Perl 5.8.3 from src
I installed OpenSSL 0.9.7c from src
I installed Apache 1.3.29 with mod_perl 1.29 and mod_ssl 2.8.16 from src
I installed libiconv 1.9.2 from src
I installed libxml2 2.5.11 from src
I installed libxslt 1.0.33 from src
I installed libxml2 2.5.11 from src
I installed libghttp 1.0.9 from src
I installed expat 1.95.6 from src (patched with code from WIKI page)
I installed the perl module XML::Parser from the CPAN shell

All of this worked well, I think, with the exception of the make check on the libxml2.
 It compiled fine but appeared to have problems finding a command called parse1(?).
This didn't seem to affect its installation.

Anyway, from the messages that were flying past in the console, I believe a number of
other perl modules were compiled (as dependencies in the CPAN shell) and seemed to
find libxml2 no problem - I think it got farther than the last time when I was using
the RPM versions.

However, the perl module XML::Lib::Common 0.13 refuses to install citing the
unavailability of libxml2 (again).  I'm rapidly running out of patience now.  I
downloaded the src for the module from CPAN and typed:

perl MakeFile.PL LIBS='-L=/usr/local/lib -I=/usr/local/include/libxml2'

But this fails with the same error.  I confess I'm not 100% confident I've put in the
appropriate arguments on the command above.  Given that I've accepted the defaults at
every stage, does that sound right?  If not, how do I identify which directories to
put where in the command above?

(running xml2-config --cflags from the command line gives me the output:
"-I/usr/local/include/libxml2")

Also, what is LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  What should it be set to?  And how do I change it if
necessary?

Any help gratefully received!  *sob*  This is killing me!

Peter.