--On Thursday, July 27, 2006 19:29:04 -0400 Matt Sergeant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But first, what does it look like? Well I spent a long time thinking
about what it meant to be AxKit, and I also spent a long time  thinking
about how could I make it easier to use and install in these  days of
quick setup frameworks like Ruby on Rails. Sadly mod_perl is  not quick
to setup. Neither is Apache. These are large complicated  frameworks with
lots of features I don't need on my application  server. Instead, AxKit2
has its own httpd. You can read a bit about  it here:
http://use.perl.org/~Matts/journal/30438

Matt,

Reading the comments on your blog post I see that you still intend to make it possible to use AxKit2 behind an apache frontend. Will that use mod_perl, or something else?

Apache and mod_perl are critical to the applications we develop, because we rely on apache to provide SSL and user authentication via pubcookie (single sign on system for web), and we rely on mod_perl to cache database connections and avoid compiling 80K lines of perl on every web request. (Yes, 80K is a real number from our primary web app (including whitespace.), but that system isn't using AxKit now... if we ever reimplement it using our AxKit based web toolkit I expect the size of the perl component would go down dramatically.)

I could see the mod_perl functionality being replaced in AxKit2, but I don't think the apache features we rely on could be replaced easily.

-David Nolan
Network Software Designer
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University