Hi Matt, Tom and everybody else still listening!

Tom Schindl wrote:

Hello Matt and all others,

I only wanted to put my 2ยข in here. First of all its great that there's
something going on with AxKit.
Im glad to see progress too.

Having said that I hope you don't mind if
I don't go along with your decision not using Apache-2.x/mod_perl-2.x
but shiping your own httpd.
Tom discussed this in detail.
I for myself used AxKit (1) in a few applications with low bandwith and
low development budget.

I had to learn that there is not much progress porting to Apache 2.x but
the Apache 1.x gets older and older.

Then there was Tom's aproach to move to Apache 2.x but for my understanding
this would have meant restructuring of my applications so I still hoped that
there will be an interface compatible Apache 2.x version of AxKit.

In my situation even Apache 2.x is a little overblown (1-5 Users, interactive
application written partliy XSP newer parts as custom provider, one stage
XSL translation to HTML+ static CSS stylesheets, some XSL-FO translated
with FOP.

I looked inside the AxKit code but have much to few Apache inside knowledge
to do something like a port by myself. (In the limited time I could afford
for this.)

I dont want to blame anybody not doing the things I would like to have,
I should do them by myself.

But I have to say that an Apache 2.x frontend proxying to an perl-written
backend with AxKit 2.x maybe with changed interfaces which means that I
would have to rewrite my dirty little Applications is of no use for me.

I even got blamed inside my company for using such a "big" toolkit because
after the first app was finished a downsizing to emedded systems as low
end platform was discussed, and Apache+mod_perl+AxKit etc is much to
big for that.

If I have to start from scratch again I think I will have to go the oposite
way and do everything by hand again and use as few toolkits as possible
as all the XML libraries and all this stuff blows up your environment so
you need a big server just to put up a Hello world message.

Sorry for not being happy with the way AxKit goes, I seems I will have
to find a way to live without it in the future.

Bye, Peter
WOTLmade