Nancy,

I would guess that "vulgar assault" would be a rape by today's standards.
They language was just different for it then.  I'm sure a native speaker
could shed more light on that.  I would guess that rapes or vulgar assaults
have been around since the beginning of time, but now it is more widely
reported and receives more press in the news.  I would guess that back in
the 1800s (or earlier) it was considered something that the woman did to
deserve it.  Very different perception then.

I've seen a record on Sao Miguel where it says the baby was born to the man,
single, adulterer and to the woman, married to so-and-so.  By today's
standards though, the woman was the adulterer, as she was the one who was
married.  I guess that would make the man a "player?"  Is that the current
lingo for men who mess around with married women?

Achada