Ooops..sorry about the url! It's the Antonio.....

From: gfsche...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:46:09 -0700
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] odd records
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Nancy,
The URL or something is needed to navigate to that particular record, because
the # 2 that I found was a Maria, filha legitimata.  Nothing unusual there.

Perhaps the priest.  Most don't give a lot of detail (the supply of paper and
ink could be one factor).  I remember sitting once with George Pacheco in
N.Dartmouth and I found a baptism that didn't follow the norm.  George took a
look and in the baptism the priest documented that he asked the mother 3 times
who the father was and she stated every time she didn't know, but that the
priest felt that she did indeed know who the father of her baby was.  And he
wrote something to that effect in the document.  Another time, on a marriage,
there was a line that didn't follow the norm (or it was the first time that I
had ancestors get married around Easter).  It said that they had fulfilled
their Lenten duties or something like that.

I think those are more of a rare find though.  I think most priests and scribes
just did what they were told and followed the form for writing a baptism.  They
had no idea that people would be looking at them hundreds of years later for
clues!

Cheri