Dear Sonia:

I would certainly agree that if there is any danger of legal prosecution, then
discretion is the better part of valor, I am grateful to you and Cheri for
educating me as to the law,. I suppose that in the future, when somebody on the
list is desperate for information and I know that there is a treasure trove in
Rodrigo Rodrigues, I will simply cite the chapter and section and tell that
person to look it up in that work. There were only 500 copies printed. How many
do you think are available in the US and available for an intra-library loan? I
bought one of those 6 volume sets. I will take great care to abide by the law
and not  share any information protected by copyright on a public list,

My lawyer tells me that whenever a letter is sent to somebody, there is no
expectaion of privacy, and no protection against disemination. There is no
copyrifgt protection. I wonder if that applies to an e-mail sent to me as a
member of a list?

As for Edna and her fine work, I think she would be delighted to know that she
has left an enduring legacy that will perpetuate her memory. Edna and I
exchanged several e-mails. Her translation of Saudades da Terra went through 3
printings. As for the quality, it is a terrible translation, except for the
fact that since there is no other, it is the best English translation
available. And, it is good enough to do the trick. It has helped many, many
Azorean-Americans connect back to the earliest Azorean colonists and, in some
cases, back to the the nobility and royalty of Portugal. How many copies of
Edna's translation do you think are available in American libraries and
available for intra-libraryt loan? Those who have no access to Edna's book will
need to make do with the original 16th century Portuguese of Gaspar Frutuoso.

I am fluent in Portuguese and can easily read even the handwritten entries in
the Ribeira Grande parish registers kept by Gaspar Frutuoso, so I have no need
of English translations, but I can sympathize with those who cannot read even
typed Portuguese,

Thank you for clarifying the copyright restrictions. However, relative to those
restrictions, unpleasant though those restrictions are, the law is the
law (dura lex sed lex) and I do not want to shoot the messanger.  I cannot help
but quote Charles Dickens, though: "If the law says that then the law is an
ass."

I am in your debt and in Cheri's for claifying the law for me. Thank you!

John