From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Dano
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:01 AM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Williams from Faial

Fayal was the second largest port in the Azores. As such, it saw many
foreign ships, including whalers and fishing vessels that would often
stop to sign up crew replacements. So, the short answer to your
question is, yes, a native of the Azores can have the surname
Williams. Often surnames became "remastered" to make them sound more
Portuguese or more English. Major settlement of the Azores was, of
course, by Portuguese nobility, who were offered land and power to
colonize the newly discovered islands in the 15th century. Shortly
after they were joined by Flemish expatriates under an agreement by
the respective kings of Portugal and France. Owing to the history of
the islands, persons from Scotland, France, Italy, and Spain, were
also permitted to settle in the islands from time to time.

Re: GGF - Can you decipher the parents' surnames? the parish he was
married in?