Thanks much, Eric.  I know the 1870 federal census lists my g'g'grandmother
as 18, and her Providence marriage record, but the family bible kept by her
daughter, my g'grandmother, lists the 1854 date I have been searching, and
has so far been accurate as to all other dates.  Moreover, her death
certificate in Jan. 1905 lists an age of 50, which would be consistent with
a birth year of 1854 (as in the family bible), while other censuses and
records suggest still other years:  the 1880 federal census, about 1853,
and the 1900 federal census, about 1855.  Our family assumed she upped her
given age from 16 to 18 at the time of her marriage, and then later in life
started subtracting years, but that the family bible and death certificate
were the most accurate sources.

However, as I just noted in a separate reply to Cheri Mello, I downloaded
the Casais das Flores book and have gone through it and -- while you're
right that there appears to be no marriage record for Bernardo Jozé Lourenço
-- I found three children of his and Anna Emilia's getting married in the
parish of Fajãs.  Unfortunately for me, one of these marriages, of an Ana
Bernarda, appears to be of the same person whose baptismal record I was
deciphering, so presumably that Anna is indeed not my Anna after all.

In order to make the leap back to the CCA records and the Casais book, it
looks like I'm going to have to pursue next something I've tried to obtain
but not had luck with so far -- Anna's Roman Catholic marriage record, as
opposed to her Providence marriage record, which of course doesn't give a
freguesia, and only gives her parents' anglicized first names and no
surnames.  The Providence marriage record doesn't list the church where
Anna married Antonio/Antone/Antoine/Anthony Hurd/Hard/Heard (all of these
variants of his anglicized name appear in various records), but does list
the priest who married them:  William Halligan.  I've tried to locate via
Google the parish he was serving in at the time of the marriage in 1870,
but have only found parishes where he served in later years.  (Apparently,
Halligan helped start or grow a number of RI parishes.)

Unfortunately, the marriage occurred in an odd period for the records of RI
RC churches, right before the Diocese of Hartford (which was based not in
Hartford but in Providence) in 1872 spun off the Diocese of Providence
(moving the see city of the Hartford diocese -- later raised to become an
archdiocese -- back to Hartford).  It's not clear to me whether church
archives covering RI churches before the 1872 diocesan separation (a)
stayed in Providence and were inherited by the new Diocese of Providence,
(b) got moved to Hartford and remained in the possession of what is now the
Archdiocese of Hartford, (c) got moved somewhere else entirely, or (d) fell
through the cracks and have disappeared.  Calls to the Hartford
archdiocesan and Providence diocesan archives have not been returned, so
I'm at a bit of a dead-end in trying to figure out what church Fr. Halligan
was serving in 1870.

The work-around I came up with is to reach out separately to each RC parish
within the city limits of Providence (since the marriage was recorded in
Providence's city records) and ask whether Fr. Halligan served there in
1870.  (And I'm hoping he didn't perform the wedding at a church other than
where he was assigned.)  It's also possible he was serving a church that
has since been closed, so I'd also need to find out where such churches'
records have been transferred (and hopefully not to the unresponsive
diocesan archives).  However, rather than just contacting every RC church
in Providence, it would be ideal to know which churches were open there in
1870.  If anyone has any sources that could help determine that, it would
be greatly appreciated.

Failing that, I'll just have to go through all of the CCA's baptismal
records for all Flores parishes for all the possible birth years other than
1854...  Ugh.  But thank you for searching your Flores databases for Anna.

Regarding my Terra line from Faial, through Anna's husband Antonio Hurd /
António
da Terra:  The obit you found is indeed that of my great-great-uncle,
Antonio/Anthony Hurd Jr., and I'm glad to learn that his father's name was
not just António da Terra (as all family sources indicated) but more
specifically António Inácio da Terra.  (Oddly, the obit also says that his
mother -- Anna -- was from Faial, but the family oral history is emphatic
that she came from Flores, and while I don't have it handy right I'm pretty
sure her death certificate says so too, if I'm recalling correctly...)

However, I'm sure my António Inácio da Terra is different from the one born
in Pedro Miguel in 1800, because all other records indicate an 1844 or 1845
birth date for him.  Also not sure what to make of the António Furtado da
Terra; no family record or civil record that I have seen mentions Furtado.

Thanks again,

David da Silva Cornell
*

*